The Dutch Golden Age
The aim of this course is to introduce students to the history and culture of the Dutch Golden Age, roughly between 1570 and 1720. The topic will be approached from a multi-disciplinary perspective – focusing on art, literature, and the politics of culture.
The Netherlands, in the seventeenth century, was viewed by many as the centre of the world. Three leading experts on the history, arts and literature of the Dutch Golden Age will explore the country’s rich heritage in the age of Rembrandt and Spinoza.
Topics will include
- the Dutch Revolt against Spain;
- the construction of a new state;
- economy and social structure;
- citizenship, government, and welfare institutions;
- churches and religion;
- painting, print-making, and the art market;
- literary life and the theatre scene;
- the world of the book;
- and the activities of collectors, cartographers, and scholars.
Date, time, location and price
- Date: 4 September - 18 October 2017
- Time: Mondays, 13:00 - 15:00 and Wednesdays, 09:00 - 11:00
- Number of courses: 14
- Location: Oudemanhuispoort D1.09
- Price: 180 / 162 (discount price for AUV-members)
Disclaimer: voor de actuele roostergegevens raadpleegt u altijd de roosterwebsite van de UvA. De Illustere School is niet verantwoordelijk voor wijzigingen in het rooster.
|Course type||Open UvA-Course|
|Semester/blok||Semester 1, block 1|
|Study material||To be announced|
|Other||You may only attend the lectures, not the seminars or other extras. It is not possible to partake in exams or obtain credits.|
|Deadline registration||28 August 2017 (subject to availability)|
To register for this course you need to create an Illustere School account. If you already have an account, please use your existing account to register for the course. For both options, click the button below.
Directly after signing up for a course you receive confirmation of your registration by e-mail.
The tuition fee will be automatically deducted from your bank account. Registration for an Open UvA-Course for UvA employees is free.
Blackboard is the digital learning environment of the University of Amsterdam and is used by all teachers and (regular) students of the UvA. Illustere School students may also use Blackboard. Your personal codes will be send to you by email.