The History of Globalization and International Relations
Insight into the relationship between what is called globalization and international politics is essential for understanding recent international history and, indeed, today's world.
It is the goal of this course to explore this relationship for the period since the 1860s. Lectures and readings will consider themes such as
- the emergence and transformation of the nation-state model;
- European expansion and modern imperialism;
- the era of the two world wars;
- the rise of the United States;
- the Cold War, decolonization, and the rise of a liberal-democratic order after 1945;
- the ebb and flow of globalization;
- social, cultural, and ideological transfers and flows across borders.
Date, time, location and price
- Date: 4 September - 19 October 2017
- Time: Mondays, 13:00 - 15:00 and Thursdays, 11:00 - 13:00
- Number of courses: 14
- Location: Oudemanhuispoort D1.08
- Price: 180 / 162 (discount price for AUV-members)
Disclaimer: voor de actuele roostergegevens raadpleegt u altijd de roosterwebsite van de UvA. De Illustere School is niet verantwoordelijk voor wijzigingen in het rooster.
- Jurgen Osterhammel and Niels P. Petersson, Globalization: A Short History (Princeton: Princeton University Press, 2005). Available at Atheneum Bookstore.
- articles, book chapters, and primary documents (to be published)
|Course type||Open UvA-Course|
|Semester/blok||Semester 1, block 1|
|Other||You may only attend the lectures, not the seminars or other extras. It is not possible to partake in exams or obtain credits.|
|Deadline registration||28 August 2017 (subject to availability)|
To register for this course you need to create an Illustere School account. If you already have an account, please use your existing account to register for the course. For both options, click the button below.
Directly after signing up for a course you receive confirmation of your registration by e-mail.
The tuition fee will be automatically deducted from your bank account. Registration for an Open UvA-Course for UvA employees is free.
Blackboard is the digital learning environment of the University of Amsterdam and is used by all teachers and (regular) students of the UvA. Illustere School students may also use Blackboard. Your personal codes will be send to you by email.